From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Illegal instruction" error
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:26:36
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 23:24 on Monday 11 October 2010, Daniel
2 Pielmeier did opine thusly:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon schrieb am 11.10.2010 22:39:
5 > > Uh-oh.
6 > >
7 > > genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal
8 > > instruction", and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message,
9 > > nothing else:
10 > >
11 > > $ genlop -t portage
12 > > Illegal instruction
13 > >
14 > > Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
15 > >
16 > > /bin/sh: line 21: 1084 Illegal instruction /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
17 > > relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/
18 > > --html- dir=${installdir}
21 > > I don't really know where to start looking.....
22 > > I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
23 > > search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless
24 > > someone else has a better idea.
25 >
26 > Google has something to say about this.
27 >
28 > Recently changed CFLAGS.
29 > Wrong CFLAGS.
30 > Compiler has problems with march native.
31 > Glibc corruption.
34 It's none of those apparently. I checked CFLAGS set by the ebuild in the
35 emerge log before posting and they looked fine. gcc was last updated a month
36 ago and the machine gets updated almost daily.
37
38 glibc seems possible but it's a moot point, especially as after investigating
39 memory at Mark's suggestion, genlop runs fine now, world updates successfully
40 and 2 ./configure errors about aclocal (that I didn't even mention before)
41 have gone away.
42
43 I should probably start treating this poor machine more like a notebook and
44 less like a high performance machine - running flat out almost 24/7 is
45 probably outside of it's design spec :-)
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com