From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can the new baselayout handle multiple networks seamlessly?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:19:35
1 On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:35:09 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > I haven't tried using it for this, but I wonder if RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE
4 > would help. See /etc/conf.d/rc for details but basically you set up
5 > different configs for different runlevels, so you could have a different
6 > runlevel for each situation, but make the actual runlevel directories
7 > symlinks to default. Selecting the runlevel on rebooting would certainly
8 > pick up the appropriate config, you'd have to try it to see what happens
9 > when switching runlevels while running.
10
11 I've run a couple of tests now, using different /etc/conf.d/net.runlevel
12 files. Switching runlevels on the fly doesn't cause the new configs to be
13 loaded, but restarting the network afterwards does. I expect this is fine
14 for your needs, as you are unlikely to have the network running while
15 between locations. Even if you are, you only need to do
16
17 rc newrunlevel
18 /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
19
20 to switch over. The VPN and other stuff you need to run is easily handled
21 in the postup() function of the relevant net.runlevel file.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 If this were an actual tagline, it would be funny.