From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can the new baselayout handle multiple networks seamlessly?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:42:17
1 On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:21:25 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2
3 > The nightmare is that gentoo will only handle a small subset of the
4 > networks I need to connect to at any one time (i.e., I cant configure
5 > all the networks in the one set of config files - see my original post
6 > for the permutations). I cant see that gentoo's method will allow me to
7 > handle all the permutations without having scripts to reconfigure it at
8 > each site by copying in new files and restarting services/vpn's and
9 > athentications depending on what is required at each site.
10
11 I haven't tried using it for this, but I wonder if RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE
12 would help. See /etc/conf.d/rc for details but basically you set up
13 different configs for different runlevels, so you could have a different
14 runlevel for each situation, but make the actual runlevel directories
15 symlinks to default. Selecting the runlevel on rebooting would certainly
16 pick up the appropriate config, you'd have to try it to see what happens
17 when switching runlevels while running.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 "Bother," said Pooh, as someone else stole his taglines.