From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can the new baselayout handle multiple networks seamlessly?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:30:34
1 On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 08:45 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:48:11 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
3 >
4 ...
5 >
6 > > No relief from the nightmare I am afraid ...
7 >
8 > Why is this nightmare anything to do with Gentoo? If you connect to
9 > networks that require manual configuration, you have to configure
10 > manually. At least the functions in conf.d/net allow you to automate a
11 > substantial part of the process.
12 >
13 > Take a close look at /etc/conf.d/net.example, I think you'll find it can
14 > do most, if not all, of what you want.
17 The nightmare is that gentoo will only handle a small subset of the
18 networks I need to connect to at any one time (i.e., I cant configure
19 all the networks in the one set of config files - see my original post
20 for the permutations). I cant see that gentoo's method will allow me to
21 handle all the permutations without having scripts to reconfigure it at
22 each site by copying in new files and restarting services/vpn's and
23 athentications depending on what is required at each site. The reason I
24 posted this originally is that the above process keeping separate
25 configs has been working for years (inc. when I was using Mandrake) and
26 I am happy to keep doing that - however something in gentoo's latest
27 baselayout breaks things like zebedee and openvpn (flakey on start/stop)
28 in this scenario.
29
30 BillK
33 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>