From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can the new baselayout handle multiple networks seamlessly?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:51:49
1 On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:48:11 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
2
3 > If I set the NIC to DHCP as you advise, you are implying that gentoo
4 > will handle the various fixed IP's, subnets, gateways and differing vpn
5 > schemes automaticly? How can it do that? Only some of the networks
6 > (only three in fact) use DHCP.
7
8 It will only do it automatically if there is a DHCP server on the
9 network. There is a fallback option in in Gentoo settings for when DHCP
10 fails.
11
12 > ifplugd looks interesting - possibly the best I can do will be to use
13 > ifplugd to trigger if-up and if-up will have to contain the various add
14 > ons like the vpns and service restarting with functions to detect which
15 > to run where.
16
17 Don't do that, it will conflict with Gentoo's setup. As I said before,
18 don't do anything with ifplugd beyond emerging it. The Gentoo scripts
19 detect it is there and use it. Put all your scripting in /etc/conf.d/net.
20
21 > No relief from the nightmare I am afraid ...
22
23 Why is this nightmare anything to do with Gentoo? If you connect to
24 networks that require manual configuration, you have to configure
25 manually. At least the functions in conf.d/net allow you to automate a
26 substantial part of the process.
27
28 Take a close look at /etc/conf.d/net.example, I think you'll find it can
29 do most, if not all, of what you want.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 You have a tendency to feel you are superior to most computers.