From: "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] uefi gpt grub2
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 12:54:46
1 2012/11/8 <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
2
3 > Over the last few days I have tried to set up using uefi gpt and grub2.
4 > After many hours of frustration I have gone back to grub legacy and mbr.
5 >
6 > I followed the Gentoo wiki and Arch wiki and several other sources of
7 > which I failed miserably. Is this technology fairly unreliable? I booted
8 > from a uefi enabled usb stick but still fell over. Is this ready for
9 > mainstream or
10 > still alpha like?
11 >
12 > Also does ufibootmgr change motherboard firmware? Somehow this feels
13 > wrong if the case.
14 >
15 > John D Maunder
22 Hi,
23
24 I tried installing UEFI GPT too a few months ago, but I had a semi success.
25 After some days of fiddeling around with parameters and variables I could
26 boot the system, but I can't see the kernel output or open-rc. But the X
27 loads and the system works after that like normal, but without the textual
28 ttys. terminal emulations like xterm or so work. So I would install it
29 again, but it isn't as easy as thought.
33 Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
34
35 Randolph Maaßen