From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow mencoder after emerge?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:38:01
1 cothrige wrote:
2
3 >I am very new to Gentoo and portage and just beginning to learn to
4 >find my way around. For the most part things have been good, but
5 >MPlayer has proved to be a difficulty. Not in basic functionality
6 >though, but just speed.
7 >
8 >What I did was start with a basic 'emerge -a mplayer' which installed
9 >mplayer and a codec package. Everything seemed very solid and seemed
10 >to work as it should. But when I tested mencoder with a dvd it would
11 >only run at something like 12 or 14 fps. Normally with the same
12 >settings (mencoder dvd://1 -noodml -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
13 >vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:vbitrate=1800) it goes at about 28-30. I hated to
14 >think about taking three hours to make one pass on a movie encoding
15 >and so unmerged it and compiled myself from source. Now it works
16 >fine.
17 >
18 >I am very curious about what I did wrong, not so much for mplayer as I
19 >have it running fine but rather for a better knowledge of portage and
20 >such. My use flags in /etc/make.conf are this: "gnome kde jpeg gif
21 >tiff dvd dvdr emacs tcltk" in case they are responsible.
22 >
23 >Thanks in advance for any advice.
24 >
25 >Patrick
28 Hi,
29 Maybe rebuilding "mplayer" through portage will have the same result.
30 Think you could have a look at 'revdep-rebuild' (man revdep-rebuild).
31 HTH. Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature