From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 06:29:21
1 On 23/04/2013 23:10, Jarry wrote:
2 > On 23-Apr-13 22:40, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> ext4 is fine. All the horror stories ended years ago and almost all
5 >> major distros ship it as a default.
6 >
7 > Hm, I remember one horror story about "ext4 data corruption bug"
8 > which circulated in public just a few months ago:
9 > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/23/690
10 >
11 > Jarry
12
13 I dimly recall that one. Didn't it happen only in some very obscure
14 circumstances that rarely happens in real life? Like rapidly mounting
15 and unmounting the filesystem in a very specific use-scenario?
16
17 What I do recall clearly is my conclusion at the time that the bug was
18 just that - a bug. All software has bugs and not all bugs are equal; one
19 has to learn to categorize them, and this one was relatively minor as
20 far as filesystem bugs go.
23 Alan McKinnon
24 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com