From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev upgrade and baselayout 2.2
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 23:17:09
1 On 4/29/2013 17:35, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > I've finally got my system settled enough to look into teh scary udev upgrade. Especially I have all data dirs off in their own LVM partitions (/home, /encfs, /usr/portage, /var/spool), and a backup of the most recent bootable and runable /, so I can boot back to that if I need to and still get email etc. while working oout what I screwed up.
3 >
4 > Excluding gcc, llvm, various app-emulation packages, videolibs, etc, most of it looks innocent enough.
5 >
6 ...
7 >
8 > Some give me pause:
9 >
10 > =sys-apps/baselayout-2.2
11 >
12 > Is baselayout 2.2 necessary for upgrading udev, or just optional? Could I upgrade this without upgrading udev?
13 >
14 I can't comment on baselayout 2.2 yet, as I have been holding off on
15 updating it on my systems as well. I have updated them all to at least
16 udev 197, though, without too much trouble. If you update to udev 200
17 without going through 197, though, make sure you don't forget to ``touch
18 /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules``, lest you end up with
19 ridiculous names for your ethernet devices.
20
21 > =sys-boot/grub-2.00-r3:2
22 >
23 > I'm running grub 1. What I have seen of grub 2 doesn't impress me, and besides, my bootable backup is on a different disk but relies on the grub 1 boot setup, and I'd just as soon not upgrade to grub 2 ever if possible.
24 >
25 I too prefer grub 1. You can prevent the upgrade to grub 2 with the
26 following::
27
28 emerge --deselect grub
29 emerge --noreplace grub:0
30
31 And, just for good measure::
32
33 echo '>=sys-boot/grub-2' > /etc/portage/package.mask/grub2
34
35 Hope this helps
38 ♫Dustin
39 http://dustin.hatch.name/