From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:01:39
1 On Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009, Marcus Wanner wrote:
2 > On 12/12/2009 2:42 PM, Dale wrote:
3 > > And some would also argue that cycling power on and off is actually
4 > > bad for the rig as well. Keeping things at a constant temp is better
5 > > than fluctuating temps. The old expanding and contracting of material
6 > > argument. Sort of strange that computers that run a lot last a
7 > > loooong time.
8 >
9 > I think that is more of a psychological thing than a hardware
10 > thing...basically if a computer is already there and ready to be used,
11 > people don't think about getting a new one. Besides, what kind of
12 > failure would be caused by expanding and contracting anyway? In my
13 > experience, old computers don't really break, they just become obsolete...
14 >
15 > Marcus
18 computers break. The caps age tremendously. Especially heat makes them die
19 soon. So if you want to use your computer over a long period of time you shut
20 it off if you don't need it in the next couple of hours.