From: Nick Stinemates <nick@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SSH port forwards behind restrictive firewall
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:58:53
1 Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I think that I have confused myself with this. I am behind a firewall/http
5 > proxy which seems to only allow outbound connections on ports 80 & 443 for
6 > web browsing. This is not enough for me, as I would like to use my mail
7 > client to send and receive mail from behind the firewall.
8 >
9 > I tried connecting to ssh servers which listen on different ports, besides
10 > tcp/22 and I was not successful. This is probably an indication that the
11 > internet gateway machine only accepts connections for packets that have a
12 > destination to ports 80 & 443.
13 >
14 > If the above is correct, am I right to assume that to be able to run a tunnel
15 > through this internet gateway I should run something like:
16 >
17 > ssh -L 2222:localhost:443 me@remote_sshd.com
18 >
19 > or are ssh packets somehow distinguishable by their headers, so that a
20 > cleverly crafted firewall will still identify them and drop them?
21 >
22 I don't have a direct answer, but it depends on the configuration of the
23 firewall. You can analyze for content and you can also allow all traffic.
27 Nick Stinemates (nick@××××××××××.org)
28 http://nick.stinemates.org
29
30 AIM: Nick Stinemates