From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ifplugd breaks services
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 10:26:36
1 On Sunday 08 Jun 2014 10:25:40 Matti Nykyri wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I also have other problems in my life. One of them is on one of my gentoo
5 > server. This server has two network cards one serves intranet and the
6 > other internet. The on that is on the internet is attached to a cable
7 > modem. The modem is buggy and some times reboots it self losing the link
8 > so I have ifplugd there get new address via dhcp immediately. Intranet
9 > card is configured not to use ifplugd. I'm using OpenRC.
10
11 Are you sure of this? How have you configured your intranet card to not be
12 acted upon by ifplugd? From what I see, ifplugd will pick up any interface in
13 /etc/init.d:
14
15 EXEC="/etc/init.d/net.$1"
18 > The problems are related to iptables and samba.
19 >
20 > Samba: when ifplugd runs down the internet card samba is killed. This
21 > shouldn't happen. Samba is configured only to use intranet card. Samba
22 > always fails to start when ifplugd starts the internet card. Manual
23 > starting is required.
24 >
25 > Iptables: the system uses new nic names (enp7s0 etc). Iptables has them
26 > correctly in the rules and in rules save. However when ifplugd cycles the
27 > internet nic all the nic names in the in-kernel rules change to eth0 an
28 > eth1. I need to zap iptables and then start it to reset the rules.
29
30 This does not happen here. When ifplugd restarts a NIC it always comes back
31 with the new consistent naming. Do you have some udev rules defined which are
32 picked up on the second time that the ifplugd brings up the card, but not the
33 first?
36 > Any suggestions where to start? Or just disable ifplugd?
37
38 Have you tried configuring static IP addresses, broadcast and gateways for
39 each card using the /etc/cong.d/net file? You can still set dhcp as a fall
40 back if you want, although I am not sure it is necessary for a server in a
41 static LAN.
42
43 The file /usr/share/doc/netifrc-0.2.2/net.example.bz2 provides suggestions for
44 different set ups.
47 Regards,
48 Mick