From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 17:57:27
1 On 2013-09-28 6:36 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > So this brings us back to the essential technical problem that still
3 > needs to be solved on your machines:
4 >
5 > /usr needs to be available (and not only for BT keyboards) at the
6 > earliest possible opportunity - this is a technical constraint. To
7 > guarantee that, you need to either merge /usr with /, or use an
8 > initramfs to guarantee that /usr is available before anything else
9 > happens in userland.
10 >
11 > It*really* is that simple. If you have a better solution than my last
12 > two choices, then I am all ears.
13
14 Ok, and if this is all true, I can accept it.
15
16 But...
17
18 > Technically, you could include /var/lib/ and maybe even /opt in there.
19 > but we can safely exclude those at this time as only a brain-dead moron
20 > would ever put init-critical code there.
21
22 I also have /var on a separate (LVM) partition. What I'm AFRAID of, is
23 that some 'brain-dead moron' will, sometime in the future, arbitrarily
24 decide that having a separate /var will *also* require an initramfs
25 because some *other* brain-dead moron (who happens to have enough clout
26 to shove their garbage down our throats)... then what is next /home?
27
28 It seems to me like the more likely case is that someone somewhere wants
29 to require BOTH systemd AND an initramfs in ALL cases, and this is just
30 the first step in that progression.