From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:55:20
1 On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 01:55:49PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-28 6:36 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > So this brings us back to the essential technical problem that still
4 > > needs to be solved on your machines:
5 > >
6 > > /usr needs to be available (and not only for BT keyboards) at the
7 > > earliest possible opportunity - this is a technical constraint. To
8 > > guarantee that, you need to either merge /usr with /, or use an
9 > > initramfs to guarantee that /usr is available before anything else
10 > > happens in userland.
11 > >
12 > > It*really* is that simple. If you have a better solution than my last
13 > > two choices, then I am all ears.
14 >
15 > Ok, and if this is all true, I can accept it.
16
17 Alan, this is a very good summary of the issues involved. Everyone on
18 the list should go and read flameeyes' blog post then this summary.
19
20 Tanstaaf,
21
22 I am the OpenRC author/maintainer and a member of base-system. I can
23 tell you that we are not discussing forcing systemd on everyone in
24 Gentoo Linux as a default init system. I can also tell you that I am not
25 aware of the Gentoo systemd team discussing this. Even if they were, a
26 distro-wide change like this would have to be brought before the
27 Council.
28
29 William