From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 20:52:18
1 Weird - I thought I replied to this a while ago (I know I started one),
2 but it disappeared, and is not in my Sent folder and it never made it to
3 the list...
4
5 On 2013-09-29 2:55 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 > I am the OpenRC author/maintainer and a member of base-system. I can
7 > tell you that we are not discussing forcing systemd on everyone in
8 > Gentoo Linux as a default init system. I can also tell you that I am not
9 > aware of the Gentoo systemd team discussing this. Even if they were, a
10 > distro-wide change like this would have to be brought before the
11 > Council.
12
13 Thanks very much for this William. I will take you at your word and will
14 stop worrying about the whole systemd thing (unless/until evidence
15 warrants revisiting it)...
16
17 So, now I just have to get up the nerve to attempt the merging of my LVM
18 based /usr into my / so I don't have to worry about an initramfs.
19
20 There are no technical reasons it shouldn't work - my / is 19G, with
21 18GB free right now. My /usr currently takes up 13GB, so merging should
22 leave mw with 5GB free...
23
24 Does anyone see an issue with a 19GB / with merged /usr and only 5GB
25 free? Was I correct in my statement to Dale that there is nothing used
26 by or stored in /usr that could consume that last 5GB and crash my
27 server (ie, like a runaway log can fill up /var)?
28
29 Thanks again...