From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ZFS
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:11:30
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Am 17.09.2013 09:20, schrieb Grant:
4 > > I'm convinced I need 3-disk RAID1 so I can lose 2 drives and keep
5 > > running. I'd also like to stripe for performance, resulting in
6 > > RAID10. It sounds like most hardware controllers do not support
7 > > 6-disk RAID10 so ZFS looks very interesting.
8 > >
9 > > Can I operate ZFS RAID without a hardware RAID controller?
10 > >
11 > > >From a RAID perspective only, is ZFS a better choice than conventional
12 > > software RAID?
13 > >
14 > > ZFS seems to have many excellent features and I'd like to ease into
15 > > them slowly (like an old man into a nice warm bath). Does ZFS allow
16 > > you to set up additional features later (e.g. snapshots, encryption,
17 > > deduplication, compression) or is some forethought required when first
18 > > making the filesystem?
19 > >
20 > > It looks like there are comprehensive ZFS Gentoo docs
21 > > (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS) but can anyone tell me from the real
22 > > world about how much extra difficulty/complexity is added to
23 > > installation and ongoing administration when choosing ZFS over ext4?
24 > >
25 > > Performance doesn't seem to be one of ZFS's strong points. Is it
26 > > considered suitable for a high-performance server?
27 > >
28 > > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1NTA
29 > >
30 > > Besides performance, are there any drawbacks to ZFS compared to ext4?
31 > >
32 > do yourself three favours:
33 >
34 > use ECC ram. Lots of it. 16GB DDR3 1600 ECC ram cost you less than 170€.
35 > And it is worth it. ZFS showed me just how many silent corruptions can
36 > happen on a 'stable' system. Errors never seen neither detected thanks
37 > to using 'standard' ram.
38 >
39 > turn off readahead. ZFS' own readahead and the kernel's clash - badly.
40 > Turn off kernel's readahead for a visible performance boon.
41 >
42 > use noop as io-scheduler.
43
44 How do you turnoff read ahead?
47 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
48 How do
49 you spend it?
50
51 John Covici