From: Shawn Singh <callmeshawn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:20:40
1 >>> Currently everybody uses its own Linux/Unix system, but soon we could be
2 forced to uses for everybody only one system.
3
4 Sounds like a cool organization. :)
5
6 As far as considering FreeBSD, it's a great OS; however, I'd describe it as
7 more as an alternative to using Linux. This is certainly evident in their
8 philosophy. I'd narrow it to Linux / FreeBSD, and if you went Linux, I'd go
9 with Gentoo.
10
11 Please see:
12 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/linux-comparison/
13
14 As far as Redhat or Gentoo are concerned, they are both great distros;
15 however, I can't think of an advantage that Redhat has over Gentoo. In a
16 company where the users are Linux savvy, I'd go with Gentoo for flexibility
17 and configurability.
18
19 I'm not sure how RH is handling dependency hell these days, but I can say
20 that the team that deals with software that is available to Portage, does an
21 unbelievable job of providing Portage with what it will need to make
22 software maintenance trivial.
23
24 At this point, I'm not sure if RH has a LiveCd. I see that FC released on a
25 little over 1 mo ago, but I've not tried it. The Gentoo LiveCd is a stable
26 solution that you can boot up, try out, and if you like, install. The
27 packages that are available for Gentoo, while they may not necessarily be
28 the, "bleeding edge, while the animal is still twitching on the ground
29 version" will be a stable version. I'd get into the strengths / merits of
30 Portage, but I think using it is worthwhile to see Portage at work, but I
31 will say that Portage is a complete package management solution, and for the
32 developer, one can appreciate really the versioning that one can do using
33 Portage.
34
35 Later,
36