From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:13:00
1 On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:37:27 +0300, qfpvajdy <qfpvajdy@×××××××××.net>
2 wrote:
3
4 > ....
5 > I would like to convince my boss and my collegues to use Gentoo
6 > GNU/Linux at the company office for the desktop system (and maybe one
7 > day also for servers).
8 > Currently everybody uses its own Linux/Unix system, but soon we could be
9 > forced to uses for everybody only one system.
10
11 Any anticipated forced action indicates that there is a problem. Identify
12 the problem and show how Gentoo helps to solve it. Since you do not write
13 about the problem, you should not expect much from the answers, all being
14 based on some guess and/or assumption.
15
16 For example, since Gentoo is a meta distribution, it may allow everybody
17 to continue to use Linux their own way and still keep the management happy
18 thinking that all are using the same thing.
19
20 > I must probably convince the people to use Gentoo Linux against RedHat
21 > Scientific Linux and FreeBSD.
24 If the choice is between Red Hat Scientific and FreeBSD, you (as an
25 organization) clearly do not know what you need. Thus, Gentoo may be the
26 least risky option since if you ever find out that you need a BSD or even
27 a Solaris kernel, then you can switch to it easier from Gentoo than from
28 Red Hat.
29
30 > Does somebody has some good key arguments?
31 >
32 > The mines are:
33 > - newests packages with newests security updates, encryption support and
34 > full integreated KDE desktop to be used in office without problems
35 > - high performance desktop
36 > ....
37
38 These arguments proof that Gentoo may be used, not that is should be used.
41 Andrei Gerasimenko
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list