From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 12:48:12
1 On 30/07/2020 12:13, Remco Rijnders wrote:
2 > An IPv6 address is 128 bits in length. Usually an ISP allocates 64
3 > bits to a single customer, allowing the systems on/behind that
4 > connection to automatically assign themselves an address based on
5 > their MAC address for example. Note that also allocations bigger than
6 > 64 bits are common so customers get 70 or 76 bits to use and can use
7 > multiple subnets on their home/business networks.
8
9 I don't think an ISP is supposed to allocate less ...
10
11 As I understood it, the first 64 bits are the "network address", ie
12 sort-of assigned to the edge router, and the remaining 64 bits are
13 assigned by the network operator.
14
15 So in your scenario of customers getting more bits, they are effectively
16 being assigned 2^6 or 2^12 network addresses. Exactly the scenario
17 planned for high-level ISPs parcelling out address space to low-level ISPs.
18
19 And looking at the wikipedia page, it looks like the ISP *must* allocate
20 at least a /64, because the spec says each device allocates itself a
21 least-significant-64 address at random using a collision-detect
22 protocol. Which is why many simplistic algorithms include the MAC
23 address to (try to) guarantee a unique address on the first attempt.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol