From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: System Clock Problems
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:49:03
1 On 2/12/2006 8:01 PM Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net> writes:
5 >> The time server is a FreeBSD 6.0 box on my network. My other FreeBSD
6 >> box and two Windows boxes get time from it just fine. Even the Gentoo
7 >> box will set its clock with "ntpd -gq". I am currently using this
8 >> brute force method via a cron job as a temporary workaround.
9 >>
10 >> Any ideas on what might have caused this recent change in behavior?
13 > It might be that the clock got off by more than ntp is willing to
14 > adjust. As I recall there is a threshold above which ntp will not
15 > go. Hopefully someone more knowledgable might confirm that.
18 Thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly, using the '-g' option
19 will allow a one time clock adjustment of any size.
20
21 > To cure that sort of problem here I run ntp-client at boot. It sets
22 > the time by any amount I think. So time gets set right on boot then
23 > ntp will keep it in good order. Next boot up ntp-client comes in
24 > ahead of ntp and sets the clock before ntp gets to it, so the
25 > too-large discrepancy never occurs.
28 I have used both 'ntpupdate' (the utility used by ntp-client) and 'ntpd
29 -gq' (ntpd's way to mimic the behavior of ntpupdate) with successful
30 results. However I still can not seem to get ntpd to sync when run in
31 daemon mode.
32
33 > I seem to recall that the too-large discrepancy is not really that
34 > large. I remember thinking it seemed kind of small to be a problem.
35 >
36 1000 seconds according to my understanding of the man page.
37
38 Anyway, I really appreciate your thoughts. Because this box runs
39 MythTV, time is *VERY* important. Imagine my surprise when I went to
40 watch the first day of the Olympics on to find out that my recordings
41 were off by over an hour and half. :)
42
43 Thanks,
44
45 Drew
49 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
50 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
51
52 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list