From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: System Clock Problems
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 04:06:56
1 Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net> writes:
2
3 > The time server is a FreeBSD 6.0 box on my network. My other FreeBSD
4 > box and two Windows boxes get time from it just fine. Even the Gentoo
5 > box will set its clock with "ntpd -gq". I am currently using this
6 > brute force method via a cron job as a temporary workaround.
7 >
8 > Any ideas on what might have caused this recent change in behavior?
9
10 It might be that the clock got off by more than ntp is willing to
11 adjust. As I recall there is a threshold above which ntp will not
12 go. Hopefully someone more knowledgable might confirm that.
13
14 To cure that sort of problem here I run ntp-client at boot. It sets
15 the time by any amount I think. So time gets set right on boot then
16 ntp will keep it in good order. Next boot up ntp-client comes in
17 ahead of ntp and sets the clock before ntp gets to it, so the
18 too-large discrepancy never occurs.
19
20 I seem to recall that the too-large discrepancy is not really that
21 large. I remember thinking it seemed kind of small to be a problem.
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list