From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CoreOS vulnerability inherited from Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 17:44:38
1 On Tuesday 31 May 2016 16:30:27 James wrote:
2 > Here is an interesting read::
3 >
4 > Security brief: CoreOS Linux Alpha remote SSH issue
5 > May 19, 2016 · By Matthew Garrett
6 >
7 > <snippets>
8 >
9 > Gentoo defaults to ending the PAM configuration with an optional pam_permit.
10 >
11 > This meant that failing both pam_unix and pam_sss on CoreOS systems would
12 > surprisingly result in authentication succeeding, and access being granted.
13 >
14 > The operator user was not used by CoreOS, but existed because it exists in
15 > the Gentoo Portage system from which CoreOS is derived.
16 > <end/snippets>
17 >
18 > Full read [1]. It kinda shows that CoreOS is derived from Gentoo
19 > and not ChromeOS; at least when time to blame a security lapse elsewhere....
22 > enjoy,
23 > James
24 >
25 > [1] https://coreos.com/blog/
26
27 Does this mean we need to do anything to improve the security of our systems?
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick