From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CoreOS vulnerability inherited from Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 07:11:38
1 On Tue, 31 May 2016 18:44:10 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > The operator user was not used by CoreOS, but existed because it
4 > > exists in the Gentoo Portage system from which CoreOS is derived.
5 > > <end/snippets>
6 > >
7 > > Full read [1]. It kinda shows that CoreOS is derived from Gentoo
8 > > and not ChromeOS; at least when time to blame a security lapse
9 > > elsewhere....
10
11 ChromeOS is based on Gentoo, so if CoreOS is based no ChromeOS it is a
12 second generation Gentoo derivative.
13
14 > Does this mean we need to do anything to improve the security of our
15 > systems?
16
17 The report seems to be saying that the problem is caused by using the
18 Gentoo default config, which assumes a Gentoo environment. So it's fine
19 on Gentoo. But it won't hurt to run glsa-check from time to time (my sync
20 script does it every time and mails me if there's a problem).
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Everything else being equal, fat people use more soap.