From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kalarm still broken -- revdep-rebuild fails; need mass unmerge of old KDE things
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:43:52
1 <whinging>
2 Revdep-rebuild seems to be the poor stepchild of the portage system.
3 There's
4 probably a good reason for it, but it sure is annoying. Moreover, my past
5 experiences with it were that it was never entirely happy and I always had
6 to leave my system in a state I considered unsatisfactory.
7 </whinging>
8
9 This time it's kalarm causing me to try it. Kalarm apparently had a
10 disagreement
11 with kdepim about who would be emerged, resulting in 200-some error dialogs
12 greeting me each morning. So I unmerged them both and emerged only kalarm,
13 and thought things were fixed. But sure enough, this morning there were 215
14 such crash dialogs complaining about SIGFPE. I have no clue why the first
15 one didn't just kill off kalarm, but that's a different issue. The bright
16 side is that
17 aside from issuing all these dialogs, kalarm seems to be functioning. How
18 odd.
19
20 Anyway, in pursuit of getting it cleaned up, I tried revdep-rebuild, which
21 can
22 catch some of those odd dependency thingies.
23
24 It reported a bunch of problems with KDE itself. Mostly with old versions,
25 so I'd like to unmerge them. But I'm a bit unsure how to do that. Do I
26 have to
27 unmerge the component packages one by one, or is there some way to
28 name all of the components of KDE 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 with one or three
29 collective
30 names?
31
32 Even if I do this, there remain some current complaints from revdep-rebuild:
33
34 broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/libkaddrbk_geo_xxport.so (requires
35 libkabinterfaces.so.1)
36 broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/libkaddrbk_gmx_xxport.so (requires
37 libkabinterfaces.so.1)
38 Plus some relating to openoffice-bin (I'm going to see if switching to plain
39 openoffice helps)
40 and one relating to perl that stumps me because it comes from the
41 imagemagick package
42 itself, and so presumably should know what version of its own libraries to
43 use:
44
45 broken
46 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so
47 (requires libMagick.so.6)
48
49 I guess I'll re-emerge imagemagick and see if it helps.
52 <more complaining>
53 This whole area seems a lot less automated than most of the portage stuff.
54 I know gentoo is a DIY type distribution, but this proceedure looks to me
55 like
56 a magnet for operator error (not to mention confusion) and could use some
57 attention.
58 </more complaining>
59
60 Anyway, I could use some more help diagnosing problems with Kalarm,
61 and in figuring out how to ditch old slotted packages.
62
63 ++ kevin
66 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD