From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kalarm still broken -- revdep-rebuild fails; need mass unmerge of old KDE things
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 01:04:26
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 >
3 > It reported a bunch of problems with KDE itself. Mostly with old versions,
4 > so I'd like to unmerge them. But I'm a bit unsure how to do that. Do I
5 > have to
6 > unmerge the component packages one by one, or is there some way to
7 > name all of the components of KDE 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 with one or three
8 > collective
9 > names?
10 >
11 You still have kde-3.2 installed?? You've been around Gentoo longer
12 than I have, that's for sure!
13
14 In any case:
15
16 emerge --prune kde kde-meta
17
18 emerge --pretend depclean
19
20 emerge depclean
21
22 > Even if I do this, there remain some current complaints from revdep-rebuild:
23 >
24 > broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/libkaddrbk_geo_xxport.so (requires
25 > libkabinterfaces.so.1)
26 > broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/libkaddrbk_gmx_xxport.so (requires
27 > libkabinterfaces.so.1)
28 > Plus some relating to openoffice-bin (I'm going to see if switching to
29 > plain openoffice helps)
30 > and one relating to perl that stumps me because it comes from the
31 > imagemagick package
32 > itself, and so presumably should know what version of its own libraries
33 > to use:
34 >
35 > broken
36 > /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux/auto/Image/Magick/Magick.so
37 > (requires libMagick.so.6)
38 >
39 > I guess I'll re-emerge imagemagick and see if it helps.
42 The correct procedure is to re-merge the package whose binary is doing
43 the complaining, rather than the one whose library is being complained
44 about. A nonexistent libMagick.so.6 isn't a problem that will be solved
45 by re-merging imagemagick; the solution is to re-merge perl, which will
46 update its link to your newer version of imagemagick. I don't know what
47 KDE package the KDE libs up there belong to; try running them through
48 'equery belongs', and re-merging the relevant package.
49
50 When doing simple replacement merges like this, it's useful to use the
51 --oneshot or -1 option to emerge so that you don't get extra stuff
52 dumped into world, such as a KDE lib that's normally only a dependency.
53
54 > <more complaining>
55 > This whole area seems a lot less automated than most of the portage stuff.
56 > I know gentoo is a DIY type distribution, but this proceedure looks to
57 > me like
58 > a magnet for operator error (not to mention confusion) and could use
59 > some attention.
60 > </more complaining>
61 >
62 Unfortunately, your system doesn't seem to have been getting the proper
63 maintenance it needs in terms of keeping dynamic linking up to date and
64 cleaning out older versions of stuff. In such a case - yes, it does
65 take a bit of work to get things running smoothly.
66
67 Revdep-rebuild is a fairly good program considering what it's being
68 asked to do, but it isn't perfect - sometimes you just have to do a bit
69 of digging to find out what's broken.
70 --
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list