From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 19:36:44
1 Mick - thanks for the responses.
2
3 [just replying to a few specific points]
4
5 On 2020.02.02 06:27, Mick wrote:
6 > On Saturday, 1 February 2020 22:08:37 GMT Jack wrote:
7 [snip.....]
8
9 Thanks for the general info on the "alias" issue. One minor problem
10 I've had is that many email providers say the allow email aliases, but
11 they are only talking about different addresses either at their same
12 domain or maybe at one of several other domains they own. Those will
13 not allow an alias from a domain that they do not control.
14
15 On the DMARC issue - for a while sourceforge had their DMARC records
16 set up so that a message "From: " their domain would be rejected if not
17 actually sent from their domain. They finally backed down, when they
18 realized this would cause problems for everyone using one of their
19 forwarding addresses. I don't remember exactly where that discussion
20 happened, but I think it was on one of the kde.org mailing lists.
21
22 [snip....]
23
24 >> I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing lists
25 >> like this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I
26 >> get the message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in
27 >> my inbox because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
28 > I think you can use Filters and Labels[2] in Gmail to tag and then
29 > move whatever you receive/send into a folder you define.
30 Two issues here. First, as I download all my mail by POP3 and maintain
31 it locally, using gmails filters and tags doesn't help me any. Second,
32 and perhaps I misstated this, is that a message I sent to the list
33 starts out in my sentbox. Since I sent it, Google knows I already have
34 a local copy. When the copy of the message arrives from the list, even
35 if it shows up in my Google inbox, I can't download in by POP3, since
36 they think I already have a copy. In fact, there is no way in Google
37 to mark a message as "New" or "Not downloaded yet" once you have
38 downloaded it. In the cases where I accidentally delete something
39 locally, the only way I have found to get another copy is using IMAP.
40
41 > You could try using the terms "email alias address" and "Send As"
42 > with them to see if this allows your conversation to progress further.
43 Thanks. That's useful.
44 >
45 > Many ISPs are a marketing shop buying the email service backend from
46 > one of the big email suppliers, e.g. Google, AWS, etc. Such
47 > marketing shops without commensurate technical capabilities are only
48 > a step away from having spammers associated with their service and
49 > therefore keep features down to a minimum to avoid being blacklisted
50 > due to potential misconfigurations.
51 Understood, and that's why I'm trying to find one of those backend
52 providers I can deal with directly.
55 Jack