From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Puzzled about --depclean
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:03:54
1 On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
7 >> wrote:
8 >> > I just ran "emerge -p --depclean" and the only thing it wants to remove
9 >> > is
10 >> > gentoo-sources-2.6.35-r12.  So my system's pretty clean, but I'm quite
11 >> > puzzled with this result.
12 >> >
13 >> > I have 5 versions of gentoo-sources installed, and the one it wants to
14 >> > ditch
15 >> > is the one I'm actually using.  I can understand why it wouldn't care
16 >> > about
17 >> > that, but why not:
18 >> >    2.6.31-r10 which is no longer in the tree
19 >> >    any of the others, which are marked in exactly the same way as the
20 >> >       victim it picked?  Some are older, and some are newer than this
21 >> >       victim.  What gives?
22 >> >
23 >> > I'm just wondering about how --depclean picked on this one of the five?
26 >> Look in /var/lib/portage/world and see if you are protecting the
27 >> versions you think it should be cleaning but it isn't.
28 >>
29 >> Hope this helps,
30 >> Mark
31 >>
32 > I looked there, and there's
33 >   sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
34 > so I would expect them all to be protected.  Why the exception?
35 > ++ kevin
38 No, that means only the latest one is protected.
39
40 One of my machines has
41
42 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
43 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.33
44
45 which implies the latest is protected as well as 2.6.33. If I ran
46 emerge -C gentoo-sources those two at least would be saved.
47
48 If you specifically want to protect a kernel, maybe you require it for
49 driver reasons or something, you can add a line like the above by hand
50 or you can use the instructions on the screen when running emerge -p
51 --depclean to add it.
52
53 Hope this helps,
54 Mark