From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xen vs Citrix XenServer
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 16:19:19
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm looking into virtualizing my servers (all 3 of them), and am a
4 little confused as to the differences between Xen and XenServer...
5
6 First - I want to use a bare metal hypervisor that supports the following:
7
8 1. Can be installed on a USB FLASH drive (I have some Dell Poweredge
9 2970 servers with the internal USB slot for just this purpose), and
10
11 2. Fully supports both Windows Server 2008 (our Domain Controller), and
12 Gentoo Linux (our mail and web servers).
13
14 By 'fully' above, I mean, I can install the guest tools/additions, so
15 I'll be able to safely manage the VMs (shutdown in case of an extended
16 power failure, snapshots, migrations, etc)
17
18 I can't seem to find an ebuild for the xenserver tools, and when looking
19 found out about Xen (I had thought that it went away a long time ago)...
20
21 Anyway, looking for any pointers from anyone currently running either of
22 the two...
23
24 Thanks,
25