From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xen vs Citrix XenServer
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 16:52:37
1 On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm looking into virtualizing my servers (all 3 of them), and am a little
5 > confused as to the differences between Xen and XenServer...
6
7 Think of it as a bit like the difference between Linux and a Linux
8 distribution. "Xen" is the name of the hypervisor, XenServer is the
9 hypervisor plus some support tools in a dom0.
10
11 While I haven't played with XenServer, I have played with its
12 open-source clone, XCP, and was very annoyed by it. I'd rather run a
13 Gentoo dom0.
16 > First - I want to use a bare metal hypervisor that supports the following:
17 >
18 > 1. Can be installed on a USB FLASH drive (I have some Dell Poweredge 2970
19 > servers with the internal USB slot for just this purpose), and
20
21 I don't think I've heard of anyone doing this, but I don't see why
22 it'd be a problem.
23
24 > 2. Fully supports both Windows Server 2008 (our Domain Controller), and
25 > Gentoo Linux (our mail and web servers).
26
27 The xen supports hvm, where it emulates hardware; in a full hvm VM,
28 *any* operating system comfortable on x86 should run.
29
30 There's also paravirtualization, which is faster, and is likely what
31 you're thinking of wrt 'bare metal'. Signed drivers for paravirt mode
32 for hardware (such as your network, disk or system clock) are
33 available for current versions of Windows.
34
35 Finally, on some server hardware, you can grant VMs access to
36 particular PCI and PCIe devices.
37
38 > By 'fully' above, I mean, I can install the guest tools/additions, so I'll
39 > be able to safely manage the VMs (shutdown in case of an extended power
40 > failure, snapshots, migrations, etc)
41 >
42 > I can't seem to find an ebuild for the xenserver tools, and when looking
43 > found out about Xen (I had thought that it went away a long time ago)...
44
45 "eix xen" shows a few relevant results:
46 * app-emulation/xen
47 Available versions: 3.4.2-r4!t 4.1.1-r2!t ~4.1.2!t {acm
48 custom-cflags debug flask pae xsm}
49 Homepage: http://xen.org/
52 * app-emulation/xen-pvgrub
53 Available versions: 4.1.1-r1 ~4.1.2 {custom-cflags}
54 Homepage: http://xen.org/
56 menu.lst laying inside guest filesystem
57
58 * app-emulation/xen-tools
59 Available versions: 3.4.2-r3 ~3.4.2-r5 ~4.1.1-r5 4.1.1-r6
60 ~4.1.2-r2!t {acm api custom-cflags debug doc flask hvm pygrub qemu
61 screen xend}
62 Homepage: http://xen.org/
65 * sec-policy/selinux-xen
66 Available versions: [M]2.20110726
67 Homepage: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/
70 * sys-kernel/xen-sources
71 Available versions:
72 (2.6.18-r12) 2.6.18-r12!b!s
73 (2.6.34-r3) ~2.6.34-r3!b!s
74 (2.6.34-r4) ~2.6.34-r4!b!s
75 (2.6.38) ~2.6.38!b!s
76 {build deblob symlink}
77 Homepage: http://xen.org/
79 run under Xen
82 > Anyway, looking for any pointers from anyone currently running either of the
83 > two...
84
85 Not currently, but had some experience with it at work and at home,
86 plan to get back into it later this month.
89 :wq