From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lockdown: free/open OS maker pays Microsoft ransom for the right to boot on users' computers
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 02:18:02
1 On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
5 [snip]
8 > In theory that's how key signing systems are suppose to work.
9 > In practice, they rarely implement the blacklists as they are (i) hard to maintain,
10 > and (ii) hard to distribute in an effective manner.
11
12 Indeed. While Firefox, Chromium, et al check certificate revocation
13 lists, Microsoft doesn't; they distribute them as part of Windows
14 Update.
17 > Honestly, I don't expect SecureBoot to last very long.
18 > Either MS and the OEMs will be forced to always allow users to disable it,
19 > or they'll be simply drop it - kind of like they did with TPM requirements that were
20 > talked about 10 years back and never came to fruition.
21
22 TPM is still around for organizations which can use them. And,
23 honestly, I've been annoyed that they haven't been widespread, nor
24 easy to pick up in the aftermarket. (They come with a random number
25 generator...just about any HRNG is going to be better than none.)
26
27 I see something like SecureBoot as being useful in corporate and
28 military security contexts. I don't see it lasting in SOHO
29 environments.
30
31 [snip]
32
33 >> What kind of signature is the bootloader checking, anyway?
34 >
35 > Regardless of the check, it'll never be sufficient.
36
37 Sure; ultimately, all DRM solutions get cracked.
40 :wq