From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux symlink?
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 17:44:27
1 On Sunday 04 February 2007 08:51:44 am Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Sunday 4 February 2007 13:45, Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 > > I was under the impression that it is necessary to install Nvidia
4 > > drivers. Is this correct?
5 >
6 > If the link is not in place, nvidia-drivers will not build.
7 >
8 > > And what should be done with the System.map file? Copy it to /boot
9 > > under which name? (I mean, when booting with a particular kernel, how
10 > > does the kernel know the path to the correct System.map?)
11 >
12 > There used to be a good system.map explanation here:
13 >
14 > http://dirac.org/linux/system.map/
15 >
16 > however, it seems to have some problem at the moment. The google cached
17 > copy works (just do a search for linux system.map, it's the first hit).
18 >
19 > Sorry, cannot comment on whether the symlink should or should not be
20 > created, and it's been a lot since I built my last LFS. I have almost
21 > always used it, and never had any problem. IIRC the handbook's advice is
22 > to create the link. But, as always, YMMV.
23
24 The server ar dirac.org need a kick, I emailed the admin there. As for the
25 symlink with LFS... LFS is a totally different animal than most
26 distributions. For us, the link is required in order to emerge anything that
27 touches the kernel sources.
33 Jerry McBride
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list