From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux symlink?
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:27:10
1 On Sunday 4 February 2007 13:45, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2
3 > I was under the impression that it is necessary to install Nvidia
4 > drivers. Is this correct?
5
6 If the link is not in place, nvidia-drivers will not build.
7
8 > And what should be done with the System.map file? Copy it to /boot
9 > under which name? (I mean, when booting with a particular kernel, how
10 > does the kernel know the path to the correct System.map?)
11
12 There used to be a good system.map explanation here:
13
14 http://dirac.org/linux/system.map/
15
16 however, it seems to have some problem at the moment. The google cached
17 copy works (just do a search for linux system.map, it's the first hit).
18
19 Sorry, cannot comment on whether the symlink should or should not be
20 created, and it's been a lot since I built my last LFS. I have almost
21 always used it, and never had any problem. IIRC the handbook's advice is
22 to create the link. But, as always, YMMV.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list