From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] amd64 fresh install woes (configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.???)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:05:00
1 On November 27, 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 071127 Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
3 > > I decided that the time has come to switch over to 64bit computing
4 > > and went with fresh LiveDVD install of gentoo.
5 > > After doing stage3 install and making syncing portage
6 > > I'm failing updates on gcc and sandbox - both complaining:
7 > > 'configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs'
8 >
9 > I recently installed 64-bit Gentoo on a newly-built machine
10 > & had something very similar happen with Gcc & Sandbox.
11 > Try recompiling your kernel with support for
12 > 'Executable file formats/emulations -> [x] IA32'.
13
14 Thanks! that was it! After 3 days of fiddling I finally got my 64bit system up
15 and running from scratch. Couple of things that suck is the inability to
16 apply same "GUI style" to 32-bit apps so that they look exatly the same as
17 64bit (gtk-engines-qt etc.) but that's a minor issue. Most importantly all
18 apps do work so far.
19
20 > You may also later need for some other pkgs
21 > 'app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs' & some of its brothers.
22
23 that got pulled in with mozilla-firefox-bin :)
26 Dmitry Makovey
27 Web Systems Administrator
28 Athabasca University
29 (780) 675-6245