From: luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD/DVD burning tools?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:29:25
1 el 2008-06-23 a las 14:58 Joerg Schilling escribió:
2
3 > Cdrecord is known to work with all drives and media. Other software
4 > may have problems with some drives or media.
5
6 that's exactly my personal experience. i won't comment about license
7 issues, because although i always try to support "free" software i have
8 to admit that i understand little or nothing about legal issues.
9
10 but let me share my personal experience: last year i bought a shiny
11 brand new laptop. i was very happy with it until i tried to record cds
12 or dvds. about 80% of my attempts ended in the trash can. at first i
13 thought i had bought a defective lot of media, but when the same
14 happened with different types of media i began to think that my drive
15 was either defective or not well supported by linux. both alternatives
16 were quite depressing...
17
18 after days of googling trying to find a solution, somehow i realized
19 that gentoo had installed a "fake" cdrecord instead of the "real" one.
20 i don't know how or why this happened. perhaps it was my fault but it
21 sure was not my intention. searching the gentoo site i found something
22 about license problems and how they had decided to replace it with a
23 different package and you could not even realize it. i erased the
24 ersatz, emerged the original cdrecord, and never had a problem again.
25 my drive was perfectly sane after all, and the media i bought was just
26 fine.
27
28 sorry for the rant, but i'm still annoyed by that incident.
29 --
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list