From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dell XPS M1710 and Sound
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:50:34
1 on Sunday 06/17/2007 Colleen Beamer(colleen.beamer@×××××.com) wrote
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > I'm having a heck of a time getting sound to work on my Dell XPS M1710.
5 >
6 > A while back, when I was first setting the laptop of with Gentoo, C. Lee
7 > Davis sent me a link on how he configured his system with Alsa. Well, I
8 > followed that both with Alsa compiled into the kernel and using
9 > alsa-driver. I've googled this and didn't come up with anything that
10 > was similar to my problem. dmesg shows no errors. Sound is not muted.
11 >
12 > On my *desktop* system, Alsa works fine - different sound chipset. The
13 > *laptop* soundcard is an hda-intel.
14 >
15 > On my *desktop*, KMix shows the following items for output:
16 >
17 > Master
18 > Master Mono
19 > Headphone
20 > 3D-Control-Center
21 > 3D-Control-Depth
22 > PCM
23 > PC Speaker
26 > On the *laptop*, Kmix shows only the following items for output:
27 > Master
28 > PCM
29 > Capture Mux
30 >
31 > On the laptop, Kmix shows only Mic as Input
32 >
33 > If anyone can lead me by the nose, here, I would certainly appreciate it.
34
35 I have a Dell Latitude d820 which uses snd-hda-intel (I think this is
36 the correct module name). I have a few more controls that that, but
37 what I set by hand in /etc/asound.state was something called PlayBack
38 Master Switch which was false when it came iand is now true and that
39 brought up sound.
40
41 Hope this helps.
44 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
45 How do
46 you spend it?
47
48 John Covici