From: Akselii <akselii@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Virtualbox-ing existing WinXP
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 15:01:41
1 On 5/4/08, Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:48:30 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> I have a box which has WinXP dual-booting with Gentoo. I would like to
6 > >> be able to have access to a clone of the existing WinXP installation,
7 > >> from within Gentoo. The original WinXP partition should be left well
8 > >> alone, as it is business critical.
9 > >
10 > > If you copy it to a VM, you are running it on different hardware. The MS
11 > > profit-protection system will kick in, requiring you to reactivate it for
12 > > the VM "hardware".
15 > This isn't to say it can't be done. On the contrary: you can clone the
16 > partition and boot it just fine, only you'll have (IIRC) three days to
17 > reactivate it before it goes inactive.
18 >
19 > You say you'd like access to a clone from "within Gentoo" - is it
20 > sufficient to be able to mount the existing partition read-only? Do you
21 > really need the clone?
22 >
23 > --
24 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
27 If i recall right you could boot windows with different "profiles",
28 which would be just different hardware configurations, also i dont
29 think corporate versions of windows says anything about the
30 activation.
33 Akseli Ollikainen
34 --
35 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list