From: Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Virtualbox-ing existing WinXP
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 06:19:38
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 3 May 2008 12:48:30 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a box which has WinXP dual-booting with Gentoo. I would like to
5 >> be able to have access to a clone of the existing WinXP installation,
6 >> from within Gentoo. The original WinXP partition should be left well
7 >> alone, as it is business critical.
8 >
9 > If you copy it to a VM, you are running it on different hardware. The MS
10 > profit-protection system will kick in, requiring you to reactivate it for
11 > the VM "hardware".
14 This isn't to say it can't be done. On the contrary: you can clone the
15 partition and boot it just fine, only you'll have (IIRC) three days to
16 reactivate it before it goes inactive.
17
18 You say you'd like access to a clone from "within Gentoo" - is it
19 sufficient to be able to mount the existing partition read-only? Do you
20 really need the clone?
21 --
22 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list