From: Srdjan Rakic <srki80@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need to turn on wireless
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 03:30:11
1 I've been using NetworkManger for quite long time now. You might want to
2 check it out.
3
4 On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM, luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy> wrote:
7 > > on 2011-07-18 at 18:17 Mark Knecht wrote:
10 > >> What sort of apps are available to discover a public network ESSID?
11 > >>Something GUI based would be appreciated if it's in portage.
12 > >
13 > > i got good results with wicd in the past. i got it to work fine on a
14 > > gentoo laptop for exactly what you need, if understood your mail
15 > correctly.
16 > >
17 > > i don't have a laptop anymore, and on my netbook i have xubuntu. they use
18 > > network-manager as a default. wicd is lighter and works fine, but
19 > > network-manager has the advantage of working with mobile broadband, while
20 > > wicd doesn't. but i never could make network-manager work on gentoo...
25 > Thanks, wicd seems to work well enough to show me the networks in my
26 > neighborhood. I'll have to figure out how to connect to one when I get
27 > to my destination tomorrow night.
28 >
29 > Cheers,
30 > Mark