From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] copy text file to clipboard on startup
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 18:34:06
1 On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:49:00 -0700 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 11/22/2018 10:02 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 09:35:42 -0700 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > >> I have a simple text file (with few lines in it) and using XFCE.
5 > >>
6 > >> How do I copy text from that file to "clipboard" so that user can past
7 > >> it with "ctrl-v"
8 > >> I would like to that text to be in a clipboard after XFCE started.
9 > >
10 > > Use x11-misc/xclip:
11 > > xclip -in filename_with_paste
12 > >
13 > > Add this script to you XFCE autostart. This can be done either by:
14 > >
15 > > 1) GUI: Settings -> Session and Startup -> Application Autostart
16 > > https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/preferences#application_autostart
17 > >
18 > > 2) Custom run hook:
19 > > Edit ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc properly (call xclip, then
20 > > default xfce4 xinitrc)
21 > > https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/267238
22 > >
23 > > Best regards,
24 > > Andrew Savchenko
25 >
26 > Hmm... I tried it from the command line and restarting the XFCE; nothing
27 > in the clipboard, empty. Nothing to paste.
28
29 I don't understand what you are meaning. Have you ran xclip and
30 then restarted XFCE? O_o. Of course this will not work, because X
31 server is being reset during restart. You need to run xclip after
32 XFCE is started. The ways to automate this are described above.
33
34 > xclip -in test.txt
35
36 Best regards,