From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default sound card for output...
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:14:59
1 Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:03:01 -0500
2 schrieb "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@×××××.com>:
3
4 > My system has two sound-cards - one on the motherboard (snd_intel8x0)
5 > and an one via PCI (SB Audigy/snd_emu10k1). I don't mind having the
6 > driver compiled for the snd_intel8x0 card, but I want the Audigy as my
7 > default card chosen for playback.
8 >
9 [SNIP]
10 >
11 > So what's the easiest way to set the Audigy as my default sound card?
12 > If I have to use uDev, then what's the easiest way to identify and
13 > order the devices and be able to capture all their sub-devices as
14 > well?
15
16 Hi,
17
18 there's a HOWTO for this on the Gentoo wiki site (gentoo-wiki.com). I'd
19 link to it, but I can't reach the site right now as it won't load.
20 There's also some info and an example (albeit for Debian) on the ALSA
21 project wiki:
22
23 http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/MultipleCards#Multiple_Sound_Cards_--_Example_on_Debian_GNU.2FLinux
24
25 So basically, you have to edit /etc/modules.d/alsa to your needs. Here's
26 mine as an example for an nvidia onboard sound device and a Terratec
27 Phase 22 PCI card:
28
29 ------------------------------------------------------
30
31 # Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.
32
33 # ALSA portion
34 alias char-major-116 snd
35 # OSS/Free portion
36 alias char-major-14 soundcore
37
38 ##
39 ## IMPORTANT:
40 ## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
41 ## and then run `update-modules' command.
42 ## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
43 ##
44
45 ## Card 1
46 # ALSA portion
47 alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1724
48
49 # OSS/Free portion - card #1
50 alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
51 alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
52 alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
53 alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
54 alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
55 alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
56
57 options snd-ice1724 index=0
58
59 alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
60 alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
61 alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
62
63 ## Card 2
64 # ALSA portion
65 alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
66
67 # OSS/Free portion - card #2
68 alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
69 alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
70 alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
71 alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
72
73 options snd-hda-intel index=1
74
75 alias /dev/dsp1 snd-pcm-oss
76 alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
77 alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
78
79 # Set this to the correct number of cards.
80 # Not really needed.
81 options snd cards_limit=2
82
83 ------------------------------------------------------
84
85 This tells alsa that I want the Phase 22 to be loaded first (default)
86 and the onboard chip to be second. The OSS sections do the same for the
87 emulated OSS devices (if you have OSS activated in ALSA).
88
89 Though I don't know what every entry does and even if I need them all,
90 it does the trick here just fine. Of course, if anybody sees anything
91 wrong (or superfluous) with my configuration, please, do tell!
92
93 After you're done editing that file, you have to
94 add /etc/init.d/alsasound to the boot runlevel like so:
95
96 marcec@marcec ~ $ sudo rc-update add alsasound boot
97
98 and then of course start it:
99
100 marcec@marcec ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound start
101
102 That *should* take care of it, though I of course recommend reading the
103 wikis first, in case I left something out or made any errors.
104
105 > TIA,
106 >
107 > Ben
108
109 HT
112 Marc Joliet
113 --
114 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who
115 know we don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup