From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] moving mountpoint to folder
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:38:22
1 On Tuesday 13 December 2005 03:33 pm, michael higgins wrote:
2 > Some time ago, I moved my /usr/lib folder to a separate partition to
3 > net some space on /. Now, I want to fix my partitions on that second
4 > drive, so I've moved all the linux folders to / again. (The /usr/lib
5 > files are in a folder called /usr/lib2 for now.)
6 >
7 > Does anyone know what will happen if I try to
8 > umount -l, remove the /usr/lib mountpoint, and rename /usr/lib2 to
9 > /usr/lib?
10
11 Should be fine as long as nothing starts any more processes (that need
12 libraries in /usr/lib) between the 'umount' and the 'mv'. Also, you
13 system may still be accessing the partition you've umount-d (since you
14 used -l) so you really won't be safe modifying it (deleting the
15 partition, etc.)
16
17 > Any suggestions appreciated.
18
19 You may be able to go down to single user mode with
20 init 1
21 and stop any remaining services, which might free up your /usr/lib.
22 If that doesn't work you may be able to use 'fuser' to kill the
23 processes accessing /usr/lib forcefully. You can get a list of the
24 processes with
25 fuser -mv /usr/lib
26
27 Altenatively:
28 mount -o bind / /mnt
29 rm /mnt/usr/lib
30 mv /mnt/usr/lib2 /mnt/usr/lib
31 umount /mnt
32 vim /etc/fstab
33 /* Remove the line that mounts /usr/lib */
34
35 After you reboot the offending partition should no longer be mounted,
36 but this is really not much better than umount -l.
39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
40 bss03@××××××××××.com
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list