From: Sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] no prompt for password
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:27:17
1 Just built a system and all was going great, first time I have tried
2 Linux in a very long time. After finishing up the build all worked fine
3 till I was trying to get sound in place, followed the instructions for
4 alsa in the handbook.
5
6 Anyway, finished up, restarted the system, and now the system will show
7 a login, I enter the user or root, but it never prompts to enter a password.
8 Then just times out and eventually shows the login again.
9
10 No X configured, just the console, like I said, a brand new setup.
11
12 Using the Live CD booted up and tried to change the password, hopefully
13 thought that would just kick things back in place, no luck, neither root
14 or the one user I currently have added is being prompted to enter a
15 password.
16 Also looked at the modules that are to be loaded, it looks fine.
17 Before configuring for sound the only module was s2io, obviously have
18 more now.
19
20 Any suggestions to get things working again, I would hate having to
21 rebuild the system again.
22
23 Thanks
24 Sean