From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no prompt for password
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:34:53
1 On 6/14/06, Sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Just built a system and all was going great, first time I have tried
3 > Linux in a very long time. After finishing up the build all worked fine
4 > till I was trying to get sound in place, followed the instructions for
5 > alsa in the handbook.
6 >
7 > Anyway, finished up, restarted the system, and now the system will show
8 > a login, I enter the user or root, but it never prompts to enter a password.
9 > Then just times out and eventually shows the login again.
10
11 OK, so what happened is that you un-emerged pam-login (to remove the
12 block for the new version of shadow), but didn't emerge the new
13 version of shadow (or didn't have the pam USE flag set for shadow).
14
15 What you'll need to do is to boot the LiveCD again, mount your hard
16 drive, chroot, env-update, source /etc/profile, and emerge the latest
17 version of shadow, ensuring that the pam USE flag is set.
18
19 If one of my assumptions above is wrong, let me know, and we'll get
20 the problem figured out. :)
21
22 -James
27 > No X configured, just the console, like I said, a brand new setup.
28 >
29 > Using the Live CD booted up and tried to change the password, hopefully
30 > thought that would just kick things back in place, no luck, neither root
31 > or the one user I currently have added is being prompted to enter a
32 > password.
33 > Also looked at the modules that are to be loaded, it looks fine.
34 > Before configuring for sound the only module was s2io, obviously have
35 > more now.
36 >
37 > Any suggestions to get things working again, I would hate having to
38 > rebuild the system again.
39 >
40 > Thanks
41 > Sean