From: Sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no prompt for password
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:15:46
1 James Ausmus wrote:
2 > On 6/14/06, Sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Just built a system and all was going great, first time I have tried
4 >> Linux in a very long time. After finishing up the build all worked fine
5 >> till I was trying to get sound in place, followed the instructions for
6 >> alsa in the handbook.
7 >>
8 >> Anyway, finished up, restarted the system, and now the system will show
9 >> a login, I enter the user or root, but it never prompts to enter a
10 >> password.
11 >> Then just times out and eventually shows the login again.
12 >
13 > OK, so what happened is that you un-emerged pam-login (to remove the
14 > block for the new version of shadow), but didn't emerge the new
15 > version of shadow (or didn't have the pam USE flag set for shadow).
16 >
17 > What you'll need to do is to boot the LiveCD again, mount your hard
18 > drive, chroot, env-update, source /etc/profile, and emerge the latest
19 > version of shadow, ensuring that the pam USE flag is set.
20 >
21 > If one of my assumptions above is wrong, let me know, and we'll get
22 > the problem figured out. :)
23 >
24 > -James
28 Thanks James,
29
30 Pam and Shadow did show installed. Pam also showing in the USE flag.
31 Isn't that one a default one?
32 Anyway, added it manually as well to make.conf.
33
34 Even though Shadow was in place, based on your message, I removed and
35 added shadow again and am now able to log in.
36 Still not sure what happened, but it is working.
37
38 Thanks again,
39 Sean
40 --