From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no prompt for password
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:21:30
1 No problem-
2
3 May have just been a /etc/pam.d/* file that hadn't updated properly in
4 the first emerge of shadow.
5
6 Enjoy your new system (and Welcome to Gentoo, it sounds like!)
7
8 :)
9
10 -James
13 On 6/14/06, Sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net> wrote:
14 > James Ausmus wrote:
15 > > On 6/14/06, Sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net> wrote:
16 > >> Just built a system and all was going great, first time I have tried
17 > >> Linux in a very long time. After finishing up the build all worked fine
18 > >> till I was trying to get sound in place, followed the instructions for
19 > >> alsa in the handbook.
20 > >>
21 > >> Anyway, finished up, restarted the system, and now the system will show
22 > >> a login, I enter the user or root, but it never prompts to enter a
23 > >> password.
24 > >> Then just times out and eventually shows the login again.
25 > >
26 > > OK, so what happened is that you un-emerged pam-login (to remove the
27 > > block for the new version of shadow), but didn't emerge the new
28 > > version of shadow (or didn't have the pam USE flag set for shadow).
29 > >
30 > > What you'll need to do is to boot the LiveCD again, mount your hard
31 > > drive, chroot, env-update, source /etc/profile, and emerge the latest
32 > > version of shadow, ensuring that the pam USE flag is set.
33 > >
34 > > If one of my assumptions above is wrong, let me know, and we'll get
35 > > the problem figured out. :)
36 > >
37 > > -James
41 > Thanks James,
42 >
43 > Pam and Shadow did show installed. Pam also showing in the USE flag.
44 > Isn't that one a default one?
45 > Anyway, added it manually as well to make.conf.
46 >
47 > Even though Shadow was in place, based on your message, I removed and
48 > added shadow again and am now able to log in.
49 > Still not sure what happened, but it is working.
50 >
51 > Thanks again,
52 > Sean
53 > --