From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:31:40
1 On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:43:10 -0500
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > Hi, Gentoo.
6 > >
7 > > A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
8 > > virtual machines on my Gentoo.
9 > >
10 > > I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly
11 > > in directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
12 > >
13 > > Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
14 > > looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.
15 >
16 > I've heard you should stay away from virtualbox, due to instability
17 > from their kernel modules.
18
19 I use virtualbox and it's the one I recommend.
20
21 The kernel modules are no better and no worse than any other
22 out-of-tree modules. Yes, they break sometimes. So does VMWare. So did
23 ath network cards long ago - that's how life works.
24
25 Here it runs on stable with zero issues about kernel versions for 6
26 months+, it's probably reasonable to assume that bleeding edge kernels
27 would of course not build occasionally. But does one really want to run
28 VMs on the latest bleeding edge kernel? I don't.
29
30 What I like about VBox is that you get all the useful bits in the
31 open-source version. With VMWare you get player for free but need
32 paying version to get more functionality.
33
34 It's been a long time since I payed with Xen so I can't really comment
35 on that product.
36
37 qemu-kvm would appeal to the hard-core geek, something that Alan Mac is
38 at least in part
42 > Apart from that, make sure your kernel has kvm support enabled.
43 >
44 > From there, you can either try playing with Xen (I've got my Gentoo
45 > desktop as my dom0), libvirt, qemu-kvm or vmware-workstation. I
46 > haven't tried any of the latter three on Gentoo, and I haven't tried
47 > vmware on Linux at *all*.
48 >
49 > I can't make a good recommendation for which would suit you best.
50 > Perhaps someone else could make a suggestion or two.
56 Alan McKinnnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com