From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:45:21
1 On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
5 > virtual machines on my Gentoo.
6 >
7 > I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
8 > directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
9 >
10 > Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
11 > looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.
12
13 I've heard you should stay away from virtualbox, due to instability
14 from their kernel modules.
15
16 Apart from that, make sure your kernel has kvm support enabled.
17
18 From there, you can either try playing with Xen (I've got my Gentoo
19 desktop as my dom0), libvirt, qemu-kvm or vmware-workstation. I
20 haven't tried any of the latter three on Gentoo, and I haven't tried
21 vmware on Linux at *all*.
22
23 I can't make a good recommendation for which would suit you best.
24 Perhaps someone else could make a suggestion or two.
27 :wq