From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:48:36
1 On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 14:43 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Hi, Gentoo.
4 > >
5 > > A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
6 > > virtual machines on my Gentoo.
7 > >
8 > > I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
9 > > directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
10 > >
11 > > Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
12 > > looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.
13 >
14 > I've heard you should stay away from virtualbox, due to instability
15 > from their kernel modules.
16 >
17 > Apart from that, make sure your kernel has kvm support enabled.
18 >
19 > From there, you can either try playing with Xen (I've got my Gentoo
20 > desktop as my dom0), libvirt, qemu-kvm or vmware-workstation. I
21 > haven't tried any of the latter three on Gentoo, and I haven't tried
22 > vmware on Linux at *all*.
23 >
24 > I can't make a good recommendation for which would suit you best.
25 > Perhaps someone else could make a suggestion or two.
28 YMMV ... VB is stable and rarely if ever breaks, app and modules "just
29 work" - performance is as good as vmware
30
31 vmware is a pig, you have to wait for matching kernel versions, the
32 licensing system sucks (I am not part of the IT staff, so because my
33 Institution centralises licensing, I have to get them to download it for
34 me every few months ... which means talking new helpdesk staff through a
35 process I cant participate in). The upgrade process sucks ... you need
36 to use the vmware overlay as the tree version often just wont build
37 (usually requires different patches for every version). Its tied to
38 having particular versions/modules/kernels and you have to actively
39 manage it which includes things like putting a copy in your own portage
40 overlay since the version you are licenced for gets punted from the
41 tree/overlay so you end up chasing ebuilds from the attic ... It also
42 currently fails glsa-check for libpng as it requires an old png version
43 to build (this may be something unique to my system)
44
45 In use, vmware breaks regularly ... often requires waiting weeks before
46 patches/updates for kernels are out so its restore from a working backup
47 until upgrades are fixed. VB doesnt need this.
48
49 As I said, YMMV but I am hoping to phase vmware out of my area. I have
50 been using vmware since Version 1 but have no love for it.
51
52 BillK