From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best method for automounting...
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 12:06:53
1 On Thursday 30 November 2006 23:54, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 11/30/06, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > Anyway, I've looked into using hal,dbus and "media:/" in konqueror... It
4 > > works to a degree, but the hal daemon has a nasty habit of polling the cd
5 > > card/pcmcia to such a degree that autofs won't unmount the then when
6 > > you're done...
7 >
8 > I've had very good results just using the hal+dbus+pmount method with
9 > KDE. I haven't had any issues with Unmount/Eject options from the KDE
10 > device menu popups, or noticed any signfiicant "polling" by hal. Are
11 > you sure it is hald, and not something else (like ivman or autofs)
12 > that is polling?
16 Yes, very sure. You can't use autofs on a system that is using hald... You can
17 modify hal actions via config files to play nice with cdroms and such, but
18 you never get hal to leave cf cards alone. On a few of the forums that I've
19 found, have called this a pretty major bug...
20
21 On my own personal view, the way that kde handles things with hal, dbus and
22 pmount are kinda of kludgy.
23
24 Thanks for the message.
28 Jerry McBride