From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot partitions (WAS: migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 23:54:26
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:14 on Wednesday 24 November 2010, David W
2 Noon did opine thusly:
3
4 > >Errm, not exactly. SCSI/SATAs are limited to 15 (inc. one extended
5 > >partition) and old (legacy driven) IDEs are limited to some 63
6 > >partitions if I recall correctly. If you use the new libata I think
7 > >you only get 15 partitions for SATA/PATA.
8 >
9 > Well that's a software limitation. I am a little surprised that
10 > the limit is so small, as Windows can support 24 drive letters
11 > (C: through Z:) assigned to hard drive partitions. Of course,
12 > accessing the CD-ROM would then be a bit sporty under Windows.
13
14 Not quite, you are confused.
15
16 That's 24 'drives" of all kinds spread across all kinds:
17
18 removeable media
19 hard disks (all partitions)
20 full disk (without partitions)
21 network drives
22 "$other_stuff" (a catchall for anything else MS might dream up).
23
24 16 for SCSI is plenty in real life, and it's a hardware limitation not a
25 software one so the driver can't be updated for this.
26
27 24 drive letters has *nothing* to do with partition number limits. They are
28 not even vaguely related.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com